Conference Date: Friday, 27 September 2019 – Sunday 29 September 2019
Location: Lakehead University – Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel, Thunder Bay, ON – Bertrand Room
Keynote Speaker: Ann Carlos (U Colorado-Boulder)
Mary MacKinnon Memorial Lecture: Donna Feir (Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis and U Victoria)
- Venue Information
- Accommodation Information
- Registration Information
- Conference Programme
- Travel Information
- Dining Information
The conference location is the historic Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel, 17 Cumberland St N, Thunder Bay, ON which opened in 1911 during the era of the grain transportation boom in Thunder Bay. The conference will be in the Bertrand Room which overlooks Lake Superior. Parking is available in the hotels parking lot, along most streets in the area, or in a large parking garage located two blocks west along Red River Road.
Accommodation is available at the Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel (https://princearthurwaterfront.com/) at a conference rate of $89 (+ taxes) per night. Reservations can be made directly with the hotel by calling 807-345-5411. When making your reservation indicate that it is for the CNEH 2019 meeting.
You can register for the 2019 Conference at CNEH 2019 Registration Page via the online system through Queen’s School of Policy Studies.
CNEH 2019 Conference Programme
Air Canada, Westjet, and Porter airlines all fly multiple times per day to Thunder Bay from Toronto. Westjet also flies daily to Thunder Bay from Winnipeg. Once in Thunder Bay there are many options for getting to your hotel.
- The Prince Arthur offers a shuttle. When booking your room, you can make arrangements for a pick-up.
- You can take a taxi from one of the two taxi companies in town:
- Roach’s Yellow Cabs: 807-345-7721
- Diamond Lacey’s Taxi: 807-622-6001
- You can book a ride using URIDE, a ride sharing app.
- You can rent a car from the airport from Enterprise, Avis or Budget Rentals.
- You can take a bus. Take the number 14 from the airport to the City Hall Terminal and transfer onto either the 1 or 3 to the Waterfront Terminal, which is adjacent to the hotel.
There are many nice restaurants and bars located within a short walk of the conference venue.
- The Sovereign Room – A pub
- The Silver Birch – A Canadian restaurant
- The Foundry – A pub
- El Tres – Mexican food
- Red Lion Smokehouse – A smokehouse
- Prospector Steak House – A steakhouse
- Thai Kitchen – A Thai restaurant
Within easy walking distance of the hotel there is the Waterfront Park, the Hillcrest Park Lookout and the historic Port Arthur core area which includes Waverly Park. For those of you interested in exploring the Thunder Bay area, the following sites may be of some assistance: